Mavado’s son to be tried for murder

The teenage son of dancehall deejay David Brooks, more popularly known as Mavado, has been committed to stand trial for murder.

Last year, Mavado’s son was charged jointly with 23-year-old Andre Hines for the June 5, 2018 murder of Lorenzo Thomas, otherwise called ‘Israel’ or ‘Trulups’, in Cassava Piece, St Andrew. Both were charged with conspiracy to murder, arson, shooting with intent and illegal possession of firearm and ammunition.

The teenager had also been accused of giving his co-accused, Hinds, an order to behead Thomas.

Reports were that a witness statement given to the police had alleged that Mavado’s son gave the instruction.

“Memba di boss want him head,” the juvenile allegedly said to Hinds.

The statement further alleged that Hinds attempted to carry out the order but only managed to partially sever Thomas’s head.

The teenager denied the allegations when he appeared in the Corporate Area Criminal Court on Wednesday, June 27, 2018.

Attorney-at-law Bert Samuels yesterday told THE STAR that the younger Brooks last appeared in the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court in December 2018, at which time it was recommended that the matter be sent to the Supreme Court for trial.

The teen has repeatedly been denied bail since he was picked up by the police in June 2018, and remains in custody.

“The problem with getting bail for him was that he came before the court with murder and three other charges,” Samuels explained.

In June 2018, the police had ordered Mavado to turn himself into the authorities for questioning. His son, brother and other relatives were detained at the Constant Spring lock-up in relation to the flare up of violence in the entertainer’s Cassava Piece, St Andrew, community. Mavado’s other relatives were subsequently released.

It is said that violence sparked in the community last year after Mavado was shot at following a dispute.
SOURCE : http://jamaica-star.com/article/news/20190131/mavado%E2%80%99s-son-be-tried-murder