R Kelly back into custody over child support

R Kelly was taken back into custody Wednesday after appearing at a child-support hearing, authorities said, hours after the broadcast of an interview in which the R&B star cried and ranted about being “assassinated” by allegations of sexual abuse.

A spokeswoman for the Cook county sheriff’s office said Kelly would not be released from jail until he pays $161,000 in back child support.

Kelly’s publicist, Darryll Johnson, said Kelly came to the hearing prepared to pay $50,000 to $60,000, but the judge wanted the whole amount. He said Kelly did not have the whole amount because he has not been able to work.

The singer’s next hearing is scheduled for 13 March, sheriff’s spokeswoman Sophia Ansari said

‘It’s not fair’: R Kelly tearfully denies abuse allegations in tense interview

Kelly was charged last month with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse and has pleaded not guilty. He spent a weekend in jail before someone posted his $100,000 bail. His defense attorney said at the time that Kelly’s finances were “a mess”.

The interview with CBS This Morning was Kelly’s first since he was charged. Kelly called his accusers liars and alleged that people are after him for his money. He told interviewer Gayle King that he never sexually abused women or controlled their lives.

The 52-year-old singer is accused in Chicago of sexually abusing four females dating back to 1998, including three underage girls.

“All of them are lying,” Kelly said in segments of the interview broadcast Wednesday. “I have been assassinated.”

At one point during the interview, Kelly angrily stood up and started pacing, his voice breaking as he yelled: “I didn’t do this stuff! This is not me!”

He cried as he hit his hands together. “I’m fighting for my (expletive) life,” he said.

Kelly, who was out on bail following his 22 February arrest in Chicago, said earlier in the interview that he had done “lots of things wrong” in relationships with women, but said he has apologized. He denied doing anything against their will. The songwriter said he believes social media is to blame for fueling the allegations.

“I have been buried alive, but I’m alive,” he said, later adding that he needed someone to help him “not have a big heart”.

When pressed about whether he was attracted to younger women, Kelly said: “I’m an older man who loves all women.” He acknowledged being in a relationship with two young women who live with him.

The recording artist has been trailed for decades by allegations that he violated underage girls and women and held some as virtual slaves. Kelly has consistently denied any sexual misconduct and was acquitted of child pornography charges in 2008. Those charges centered on a graphic video that prosecutors said showed him having sex with a girl as young as 13.

SOURCE :  https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/06/r-kelly-back-into-custody-after-child-support-hearing