Why A$AP Rocky Was Arrested in Sweden ?

It’s a tumultuous time for A$AP Rocky. The New York rapper was scheduled for a trek across Europe this summer, performing live in support of his 2018 album Testing. Then, as fans back in the States were getting ready for their Independence Day celebrations, he was arrested and ordered to be held for two weeks in Stockholm, where he is under investigation for assault. Rocky, whose birth name is Rakim Mayers, reportedly faces up to six years in prison if he is convicted. Rocky’s lawyer Henrik Olsson Lilja has said his client’s actions were in self-defense .SOURCE:https://pitchfork.com/news/why-asap-rocky-was-arrested-in-sweden-for-assault-and-what-happens-next/

Brian Lara in hospital after chest pains but says he is fine

The former West Indies captain Brian Lara has issued a reassuring update on his health after going to hospital in Mumbai on Tuesday with chest pains.

Lara, who holds the records for the highest individual innings in Tests and first-class cricket, believes he may have overexerted himself while exercising, prompting the hospital visit. The 50-year-old, in India for media duties related to the World Cup, revealed subsequent tests showed no serious problems and he is confident of being discharged on Wednesday.

Cricket West Indies posted on Twitter an audio update from Lara, who said: “I think I just maybe extended myself a little bit too much in the gym this morning. I was feeling a bit of pain in my chest so I just felt it was best to see a doctor and I was taken to the hospital. The pain continued so obviously a lot of tests have been done.

“Just letting everyone know that I’m fine, I’m recovering and I’ll be back in my hotel room tomorrow. A couple of the tests that came back already, the doctors were quite happy that there is nothing major. Thanks for your concern and speak again soon. I’ll be back in Trinidad and I’ll be back in full health very soon.”

The former left-hander’s flair and skill at the crease earned him a legion of followers and brought him 34 Test hundreds and 19 in ODIs. He twice set new benchmarks for the highest score in Tests, registering 375 against England in Antigua in 1994 while his 400 not against the same opponents at the same ground 10 years later has not been bettered.

Lara also left his mark on the county circuit with an unbeaten 501 for Warwickshire against Durham at Edgbaston in 1994, the only quintuple hundred in first-class history.

Lara amassed 11,953 runs in 131 Tests, which was a world record until he was overtaken by Sachin Tendulkar, and a further 10,405 in 299 one-day internationals. Source : https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/25/west-indies-legend-brian-lara-hospitalised-chest-pains-cricket

Prime Minister announces Windrush memorial site

Waterloo Station is to be the site of an official Windrush monument, prime minister Theresa May announced today (22 June).

The Windrush Commemoration Committee chaired by Baroness Floella Benjamin will now work with designers on the next steps. Up to £1 million of government funding is available for the project.

The Empire Windrush arrived in London on 22 June 1948. The decision to make 22 June an official day of recognition, with government-funded activities, followed a long campaign kicked off by activist Patrick Vernon.

But it also came at a time last year when the government was in serious political trouble over its “hostile environment” policy designed to deter immigration and to force existing immigrants out of the UK.

It was originated by Theresa May when she was home secretary and carried on by her successor Amber Rudd, who was forced to resign when its effects on many children of the “Windrush Generation” were revealed.

Although parents had lived in Britain legally, many of their children were persecuted for not having the correct documentation.

The government has, so far, made formal apologies to 67 victims of the policy, many of whom were sacked from their jobs, evicted from their homes and threatened with deportation. It is possible that as many as 164 people of Caribbean heritage were actually deported.

More than 6,400 people have now had their UK residence status confirmed by the government.

A compensation scheme was opened in April, so the vast majority of victims are still waiting for recompense on the government’s first official Windrush day.

Announcing the Waterloo decision, the prime minister said: “The Windrush generation helped lay the foundations for the country we know today, which is richer and stronger as a result of their hard work and dedication to the UK.”

Baroness Benjamin said her committee is “determined to build a monument of great beauty and emotional impact which will lift the hearts of those who visit when it’s unveiled. I hope it will inspire pride and a sense of belonging to all those associated with the Windrush story.”

Starting in 2019, the government will make available £500,000 each year for Windrush day celebrations, commemorations and educational events

Trump denies calling the Duchess of Sussex ‘nasty’

PRESIDENT DONALD Trump has denied claims he called the Duchess of Sussex “nasty” – despite the comments being recorded.

On Sunday (Jun 2), Trump tweeted: “I never called Meghan Markle ‘nasty’, made up by the Fake News Media, and they got caught cold!”

However, audio from his interview with The Sun were recorded ahead of his state visit. During the interview, the US President was told of the Duchess’ comments made in 2016, when she referred to him as “divisive and a “misogynist.”

Upon hearing the comments, Trump said: “I didn’t know that. What can I say? I didn’t know that she was nasty.”

He went on to say that he was glad she had joined the royal family and he believed she would make a “very good” princess.

“It is nice, and I am sure she will do excellently,” he said.

On Saturday the Sun posted an audio recording of the interview on its website, proving his tweet to be inaccurate.

The duchess gave birth to the couple’s first child in May and is not expected to meet President Trump during his visit from June 3-5. SOURCE : https://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/trump-denies-calling-duchess-sussex-nasty

Castor Brown, UK reggae music pioneer, passes away

BRIXTON-BASED music promoter, record producer, sound system operator and businessman, Castro Brown, passed away in London on Saturday (May 11) just a few days short of his 69th birthday.

Reports suggest that he had suffered a heart attack at home and was admitted into hospital in Croydon, south London where he passed away a few days later following further complications from the sudden illness.

Brown, originally from Portland, Jamaica, migrated to the UK in the early 1960s and from a very young age immersed himself in the music scene and joined a long list of sound system pioneers who brought Jamaican reggae music to the forefront in Britain.

He has also been hailed as one of the creators and promoters of the Lovers Rock music genre after helping to establish the unique sound in his studio with UK artistes and especially with his collaborations with the Crown Prince of Reggae, Dennis Emmanuel Brown, when he was based in Britain.

Together they established the DEB Music label which produced a flurry of songs by artists based in the UK and Jamaica, including Alton Ellis, Al Campbell, Junior Delgado, Errol Dunkley, Leroy Sibbles and The Tamlins.

Castor Brown also worked closely with fellow Jamaican, Lloyd ‘Lloydie Coxsone’ Blackford of the influential Sir Coxsone Sound that dominated the sound system clashes in the 1970s which included other operators like Count Shelley, Sir Jessus, Peoples Sound, Shaka, and Duke Reid to name a few. It was Brown’s ability to bring pre-released records from Jamaica which made Sir Coxsone one of the leading sounds at the time.

Later, he founded Morpheus Records which produced songs by a number of musicians including his brother Jackie Brown, deejay I-Roy and Gregory Isaacs.

Outside of the music business, Brown also operated a popular Caribbean food restaurant in Cold Harbour Lane, Brixton, called ‘Nyam Food’ which was a popular stop for many Jamaican stars when they were on tour in the UK.

Brown returned to Jamaica in the late 1980s and launched New Name label and recording studio in Kingston. There, he worked with artists like Lady Saw, Mikey Spice and Luciano.

Commenting on his passing, popular music journalist Mandingo has this to say: “Castro Brown, aka Fidel aka Jugu, was the great reggae music pioneer and entrepreneur in various fields of business including boxing, horse racing and food establishment.

“He was a reggae shop and label owner, a record producer, music studio owner, reggae spokesman and show promoter among many other accomplishments. I saw him Saturday May 4 and was to see him the following week but alas it was only to see him in the hospital and not at his home. Condolences to his family and friends.“

Mandingo was Brown’s PR representative who wrote and issued press releases on his behalf and who also emceed the many stage shows that he promoted in the UK.

A memorial event in Brown’s honour was held last Sunday at the Saint Martin’s Community Centre, Abbots Park, Tulse Hill, London. Funeral service will be held at a later date.
SOURCE : https://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/castor-brown-uk-reggae-music-pioneer-passes-away