Serie A uses monkeys in anti-racism posters

Serie A has used images of monkeys in an anti-racism campaign less than three weeks after its clubs pledged to combat Italian football’s “serious problem”.

The ‘No To Racism’ posters show three monkeys with painted faces and will be shown at Serie A headquarters in Milan.

“Once again Italian football leaves the world speechless. It’s difficult to see what Serie A was thinking,” said anti-discriminatory body Fare.

Artist Simone Fugazzotto, defended his creation, saying “we are all monkeys”.

Fugazzotto, who always uses monkeys in his work, added: “For an artist there is nothing more important than trying to change the perception of things through his own work.

“I decided to portray monkeys to talk about racism because they are the metaphor for human beings. Last year I was at the stadium to see Inter v Napoli [a match in which Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly was racially abused] and I felt humiliated, everyone was shouting ‘monkey’ at Koulibaly, a player I respect.

“I’ve always been painting monkeys for five to six years, so I thought I’d make this work to teach that we’re all apes, I made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from. The monkey becomes the spark to teach everyone that there is no difference, there is no man or monkey, we are all alike. If anything we are all monkeys.”

However, Fare said: “In a country in which the authorities fail to deal with racism week after week, Serie A have launched a campaign that looks like a sick joke.

“These creations are an outrage; they will be counter-productive and continue the dehumanisation of people of African heritage.

“It is time for the progressive clubs in the league to make their voice heard.”

Anti-discrimination body Kick It Out added: “Serie A’s use of monkeys in their anti-racism campaign is completely inappropriate, undermines any positive intent and will be counter-productive.

“We hope that the league reviews and replaces their campaign graphics.”

In November, Brescia’s Mario Balotelli called fans who shouted racist abuse at him “small-minded” and “imbeciles”.

Inter Milan’s Romelu Lukaku said the abuse he suffered in September, when Cagliari fans made monkey noises after the Belgian scored a penalty against their team, showed the game was “going backwards”.

The Sardinian club were later cleared of racist chanting, leading the head of anti-discriminatory body Fare to say that Italian football authorities and their disciplinary systems to combat racism were “not fit for purpose”.

Report

Earlier this month Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport was criticised for the headline ‘Black Friday’ alongside images of Roma defender Chris Smalling and Inter striker Lukaku prior to a match between the sides.

European football expert James Horncastle criticised Serie A for the posters.

“Question for the league is how they can’t see what a loaded and misguided collaboration this is for an anti-racism initiative,” he said.

“If you wondered why a select group of Serie A clubs are taking anti-racism into their own hands, faith in the league is sub-zero.”

Serie A chief executive Luigi de Siervo said: “The League’s commitment against all forms of prejudice is strong and concrete, we know that racism is an endemic and very complex problem, which we will tackle on three different levels; the cultural one, through works like that of Simone; the sporting one, with a series of initiatives together with clubs and players, and the repressive one, thanks to collaboration with the police.” SOURCE : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50814275

JAY-Z snatches man’s phone after he tries to film Beyonce dancing

JAY-Z got protective over his wife Beyonce as she let loose on the dancefloor at Bad Boy Records founder Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs’ belated 50th birthday party on Saturday.

The couple were among the star-studded guests helping their pal celebrate his big day at his Los Angeles mansion and Jay-Z wanted to make sure their private night out stayed that way.

In footage filmed by a guest at the bash, the 38-year-old Formation hitmaker can be seen getting down to Bobby Brown’s classic hit Every Little Step alongside her pals Kelly Rowland and rapper Saweetie, while her beau was spotted enjoying himself nearby.

However, the rapper soon sprung to action when he caught a male guest standing right next to Beyonce with his phone out, seemingly trying to film the singer.

In a second clip, the Big Pimpin’ rapper is seen snatching the phone out of the partygoer’s hand – however, he appeared to return it swiftly after warning the reveller against recording his wife again.

The incident didn’t seem to faze Beyonce, though, as the Run The World (Girls) singer seemed carefree as she continued to dance the night away.

The big night also saw Jay-Z reunite with frequent collaborator Kanye West, three years after the Power hitmaker called out JAY-Z and Beyonce onstage for skipping his 2014 wedding to Kim Kardashian. SOURCE: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/jay-z-snatches-mans-phone-after-he-tries-to-film-beyonce-dancing/ar-BBY3z1f?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=mailsignout#image=1

‘It’s ridiculous’: Viola Davis blasts Hollywood for considering Julia Roberts for Tubman role

SOCIAL MEDIA was up in arms and full of confusion when it was reported that Pretty Woman star Julia Roberts was a contender for the role of the abolitionist Harriet Tubman in a movie about her life.

Oscar-award winning actress Viola Davis was not impressed by this suggestion. She responded to the comments which were made in the 90s during an interview with MadameNoire. “It happens all of the time. Here’s the thing, simply put Julia Roberts as Harriet Tubman is ridiculous. That barely warrants a response. That’s ridiculous,” Davis said.

She continued: “I understand that the film industry very much is about commerce and money, I get it. But that’s ridiculous.”

Harriet is a historical film that chronicles the life of the slave-turned abolitionist Harriet Tubman. The film features Cynthia Erivo in the starring role. However, in an interview with Focus Features, screenwriter and producer of the film, Gregory James, revealed this would not have been the case if one executive had his way back in 1994.

He said: “I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, ‘This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman’.”

James continued: “When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, ‘It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference’.”

How to Get Away with Murder star Davis turned her attention to those in power in Hollywood. She said: “Why is that you are not armed with enough information and why you don’t see it as important to cast a black woman as Harriet Tubman?”

Julia Roberts, 52, has not commented on the claim. source :https://www.voice-online.co.uk/entertainment/film/2019/12/01/its-ridiculous-viola-davis-blasts-hollywood-for-considering-julia-roberts-for-tubman-role/

Audiences rally around Rapman’s Blue Story after film pulled from Vue and Showcase cinemas

AUDIENCES HAVE rallied around Rapman by supporting his debut feature film Blue Story after Vue and Showcase cinemas pulled the film from screenings nationwide.

Supporters of the director, whose real name is Andrew Onwubolu, urged cinemagoers to watch it in alternative cinema chains and it seems as though their calls, and that of those connected with the film, have been heeded.

Blue Story has made £1.3 million at the UK box office in its opening weekend despite the reduction in showings, Screen Daily reported today.

“We lost nearly half of our screens on the third day but we still made history with 1.3m in three days. Blue Story is number three in the UK box office. Thank you,” Onwubolu tweeted.

Reporting the figures, Screen Daily described them as “an excellent result for a debut feature director with a largely unknown cast; even more so when taking into account the film’s removal from many locations”.

The film, which follows the lives of Timmy (Stephen Odubola) and Marco (Michael Ward), best friends who end up on rival sides of a never-ending cycle of postcode gang war, has a message of anti-violence but despite the film’s stance it was removed from listings at the two chains after a mass brawl at a Vue in Star City leisure centre in Birmingham.

Police were called to the complex on Saturday following reports that young people had been spotted with machetes.

Seven officers were injured and five teenagers were arrested – including a 13-year-old girl – during the incident that is believed to have involved around 100 people.

Joy Gharoro, whose company Joi Productions co-produced the film, said: “Blue Story is a film about friendship, love and a call to end gun and knife violence, and is especially resonant at a time when society is unsure of how to tackle this problem. As a majority people of colour cast and crew we have sought to create a piece of cinema that engages with young and old to tell a cautionary tale rooted in authenticity.”

“A film does not incite violence…people incite violence”
Joy Gharoro, co-producer of Blue Story
She added: “When a distressing incident occurs, such as this weekend at Star City, it is blamed on the collective and not the individuals, stripping away the messaging of the film. A film does not incite violence, nor does a video game, nor does a music video, nor does music. People incite violence and those people should be held accountable. We have had a fantastic opening weekend, with acclaim from both critics and audiences alike, so I urge people to continue to support the film and to decide for themselves.”

Some critics of the cinema ban have called the response racist, drawing comparisons with the Metropolitan Police’s crackdown on black British music via the 696 form and others have urged patrons to boycott Vue and Showcase cinemas.

Kehinde Andrews, professor of black studies at Birmingham City University, said the film had been used as a scapegoat and the response of the cinema chains had further marginalised those who need protection.

In a statement, BBC Films, which developed and co-financed the film, said: “We are appalled by the incident at Star City and our thoughts are with all those affected by it. Blue Story is an outstanding, critically acclaimed debut feature which powerfully depicts the futility of gang violence. It’s an important film from one of the UK’s most exciting new filmmakers which we’re proud to be part of.”

Paramount Pictures said: “We were saddened to see the events that unfolded at Star City and our sympathies are with all those affected.

“We feel that this is an important film, which we’ve seen play in more than 300 cinemas across the country, with incredibly positive reactions and fantastic reviews.”

Onwubolu, the creator of hit YouTube series Shiro’s Story, has received critical acclaim for his debut feature and been long-listed for The British Independent Film Institute Douglas Hickox award for debut director.

This evening Showcase reinstated showings of the film. source : https://www.voice-online.co.uk/entertainment/film/2019/11/25/audiences-rally-around-rapmans-blue-story-after-film-pulled-from-vue-and-showcase-cinemas/

The Stormzy effect continues: Voter registration increases 236% per cent

VOTER REGISTRATION increased dramatically after Stormzy took to Instagram to encourage people to vote yesterday (November 25).

The rapper pledged his support to Jeremy Corbyn in a lengthy instagram post, where he urged people to register to vote before outlining his support for the Labour leader.

He said: “I will be registering to vote and I will be voting for Jeremy Corbyn. There are several reasons as to why I’m voting for him – I would be here all day if I began to list them

“But in my 26 years of life I have never trusted politicians or relied on them to be the bearers of hope and righteous people that we’ve needed them to be. And for me, he is the first man in a position of power who is committed to giving the power back to the people and helping those who need a helping hand from the government the most.”

According to The Independent, around the time Stormzy posted the message on Instagram, the number of users registering to vote increased by 40,000 from 8,296 to 47,920.

150,000 of yesterday’s registrations came from people under 25, and 114,000 came from 25-34 years olds.

The grime MC also took the time to share his thoughts on Conservative leader Boris Johnson, stating that he is a “sinister man” who can’t be trusted.

“I also believe it is criminally dangerous to give the most powerful role in the country to a man who has said that the sight of a ‘bunch of black kids’ makes him ‘turn a hair’, compared women in burqas to letterboxes and referred to black people as ‘piccaninnies’ with ‘watermelon smiles’,” said Stormzy.

“I think it’s extremely dangerous to have a man with those views as the sole leader of our country. These are all MY views, I don’t care for your love or hate for them. I just think it’s important that we all register and go out and vote. And I think it’s important that we use our vote to make sure that the person who runs our country for the next 4 years is someone committed to doing what is right.” source : https://www.voice-online.co.uk/news/uk-news/2019/11/26/the-stormzy-effect-continues-voter-registration-increases-236-per-cent/